Wednesday, July 28, 2004

King Arthur Two days ago I went to see King Arthur movie. I love the actors, I love the producer and I liked Antoine Fuqua's other movies. I know that I had too many expectations. I did everything I could to lower them but when it came time, I just couldn't do it. So, because it didn't rise to my lofty expectations, I give it a B. I was SOOOO looking forward to this. I suggest that people see it but be warned that you should NOT have any preconceived notions. They will hamper your enjoyment. First I had very low expectations for this film. The trailers were poorly put together and the critical reviews were pretty bad. That aside, I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. The acting was very good...even though it was a mediocre script. Some of the dialogue was sophomoric and really not needed-but it wasn't terrible. The cinematography was nicely shot and effectively captured the feel of the film. The directing was okay...not great and that is what made this film almost great. The leading cast was very good--all of the actors worked really well together on screen. Overall, I liked it. The take on the legend of King Arthur was interresting and not too far fetched that it was absurd. I just wish that Fuqua took a little more care with directing a good cast and a good story. It wasn't terrible but it just wasn't great. The good news is that Arthur is closer to Gladiator than to Troy. The bad news is that Gladiator is still the better movie, but not by much. Dashing and stimulating at its very best, King Arthur won�t satisfy the years of hard work put into the historic calculations of the legendary knight�s mythical life, but it will offer intelligent, summer entertainment that doesn�t insult its viewers while providing the exceptional action audiences are looking for.